The Driver's Site for the East Midlands

Welcome to Drivers' Union East Midlands.
Our Mission: Better road safety at lower cost. No unnecessary delay or slowing of road transport. No unnecessary or unjust prosecution of safe drivers.

Motorists & Drivers' Union is at www.driversunion.co


For specific topics click the appropriate label (above).

Search This Blog

Friday 28 March 2014

Drug driving:Open letter to Robert Goodwill


Proposed drug driving regulations for 2014. 



Dear Mr Goodwill,

I wrote to you recently, and in furtherance of our meeting when you were in shadow transport, to introduce our voluntary work for road safety and drivers.

You didn't acknowledge the email but I know you are very busy.

I have just been reading and digesting all of the publication in respect of drugs driving and the consultation process too.

I note that we were not included as consulted on your list. Had we been, I would have reminded you that after 300 billion driver miles a year, there's less death on the road from all causes than from accidents in the home and five times less than from NHS failures, about five times less than from breast cancer and some thirty seven times less than from smoking.

 Basically all I would've done, had I been consulted, is ask: 'Why are we having this consultation?' and 'Why aren't we testing doctors and nurses or people in their kitchens?' Fair questions aren't they?

I suppose every department of government must be seen to be interfering with something but is Government saying that only road death matters then?

Why is it that no matter the political colour of a minister, their brains seem to get taken over when they arrive at the DfT?

Can you ensure then that before anyone is prosecuted the NHS serves notice on all patients who may be affected or is that too much to ask?

I don't suppose you will answer but I did enjoy putting this on my Blog for the world to see.

Best wishes
Keith Peat

No comments:

Post a Comment